Parents of students within the Fort Vermilion School Division may have a little extra money in their pockets this year.
That is because the FVSD is either reducing school fees, or holding them steady.
Superintendent, Mike McCann, says even though funding from the province has been reduced, raising fees was not an option for the board of trustees.
“We don’t believe that reaching into the pockets of parents is something that our board of trustees wants to entertain,” says McMann.
“They (the trustees) truly believe that parents pay enough taxes and education fees to cover that cost. For things like extracurricular activities, of course there are fees associated with that but for basic education, and what it takes to run it, we need to figure out within our own fiscal budget how to provide that we are not depending on parents.”
McMann also added there will be no instructional fees in September of 2020 as well.
Extracurricular fees for sports and clubs will be:
- High School Sports Team – $125.00 (Maximum)
- Junior High Sports Team – $100.00 (Maximum)
- All Other Sports – $30.00 (Maximum)
- Zone Fee for Individual Sports – $50.00 (Maximum)
- Provincial Fee for Individual Sports – $50.00 (Maximum)
- Overnight Tournament Fee (per tournament) – $100.00 (Maximum)
- Clubs – $100.00 (Maximum)
- Hotel Rooms (Cost Recovery, out of division travel only)
- Ski Trips – $400.00 (Maximum)
Activity Fees will remain unchanged in 2020-2021.
- Adventure Academy – $180.00
- Out of Province Trips Defined by Third-Party Fee (Cost Recovery)
- Field Trips – $125.00 (Maximum)
- Graduation – $300.00 (Maximum)
Transportation is available to students within the 2.4 kilometers walk limit and residing in the urban area of some communities. These fees will be unchanged for the 2020-2021 school year. There is no transportation charge for students who live outside the 2.4-kilometre walking limit.
The cost for urban transportation will include the following.
- Students with physical disabilities – no charge
- ECS (1/2 time) – $25.00 per month
- ECS (Full-time) – $40.00 per month
- Grades 1-6 – $40.00 per month
- Grades 7-12 – $50.00 per month
- Family Rate Maximum – $100.00 per month
– Kenny Trenton, Trending 55 Newsroom